Friday, September 04, 2009

DIG FAS - A Big Pair

In a continuation of yesterday's introduction of the REWIND pairs trader. . . here's a turbo version of the XLE XLF pair trade using the 3x bull energy versus the 3x financials. This trade is what I call buying risk and one metric that has yet to be clearly defined is the max daily drawdown such a pairing might incur. We're working on it at the REWIND development center.
Clearly the results are stunning and with a rolling correlation of 100% the profit potential is there for those willing to stick their neck out a bit.
For backtesting I've turned on condition #2, which looks for active z-score reversals and I've optimized for both P&L linearity and profits, although with this testing environment you can choose Linearity of P&L or Cumulative Profits or Linearity x Cum Profits.
Note in the Neutral Trade window that you have to trade 2.5 shares of DIG for every share of FAS to create a balanced capitalization.
For those attempting this trade I would first recommend reviewing an archived post that argued for certain visual aids to help you keep up your enthusiasm in high stress environments.
.
Keep in mind that these results are reflective of daily bar activity. Those of you who have been with me for a while know my real interest is more on daytrading and the next iteration of this pairs study would have to focus on a 5 minute bar version. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Kristianson said...

DIG is a 2x Energy vs FAS 3x financial. If you try with ERX (3x energy vs FAX) you will get 190% rtrn (same parameters). With DIG (2x vs UYG 2x financial) I get 114% rtrn with same parameters.

bzbtrader said...

Kristianson,
Oooops! You are are exactly right. Being old and feeble of mind I need all the help I can get so your clarification is appreciated.