Tuesday, October 13, 2009

PDQ . . .Qs PairDicator

This is the initial wrap-up of the Qs pair basket study. After testing over 100 ETFs and a few stocks against the Qs, I've settled on these pairs for the time being. As the markets develop over time I fully expect the basket composition to change both focus and momentum.
I've color coded the various sectors reflected by the ETFs/stocks and you'll notice a current emphasis on materials. I'm not going to venture a reason for this high correlation, I'm just going with the flow and use the correlation to provide a trading edge.
Trying to put this information into a systematic tradeable format has presented some challenges and (as a first draft) my first signal template is presented below . . the PDQ Qs PairDicator.
Now this could be the NEM PairDicator, the FAS PairDicator, etc., depending on the particular focus of the matrix. Although there are lot's of interesting pairs that may catch your attention as you glance at the Qs matrix, for purposes of my study I really only care about how the Qs interact with the matrix components.

I've reorganized the REWIND data fields and presented them in a (hopefully) easy to visualize format. While this format is not currently available on the REWIND site, Jeff may eventually take pity on me and offer the above layout as part of the expanded Trade Report.
I''ve added several metrics which seemed useful to short term traders like myself:
. . First, the number of days we are into open trades.
. . Second, MOMO, which describes what's happening in real time to open positions, either positive or negative.
. . Third, the position of the P&L equity curve relative to the R2 slope (which I have have discussed extensively in previous posts).
.
From this point it's just a matter of developing consensus among the long/short signals and the positive/negative momentum in open position.
I'm reserving discussion of those fine points until later this week, when I intent to produce a streamlined version of the PairDicator.
Until then . . here's a site that I really love featuring some out of this world photos. If you click on the "Discover the Cosmos" link at the top of the page you'll find a gallery of several thousand pictures that are truly unique. I've posted my personal favorite on the lower right panel of the blog. . M17. Looks like it's been painted by Michaelangelo, but this is natural phenomenon.

No comments: