Monday, August 06, 2007

SFO and system trading

If SFO isn't part of your regular reading material, it should be. Consistently high quality articles based around a monthly theme. Many of the articles are available online and a subscription is free. Last month featured some fine articles on the psychology of trading and this month (August) the topic is system trading and auto trading. Even if you prefer discretionary trading, you best be informed about what the rest of the big market players are doing. Keeping in mind that only 7-10% of the daily NYSE volume is retail trading, the 800 lb gorillas in the market (institutions and commercials) are using sophisticated algorithms, neural networks and probabilistic logic , coupled with leading edge computers making nano-second computations and executions to make life difficult for you. This series of articles may provide a little wake-up call for those who don't already appreciate how much the odds are stacked against them. I don't intend to convey a negative message here ... just a realistic one. Forewarned is forearmed.

1 comment:

Cuccaa said...

"This series of articles may provide a little wake-up call for those who don't already appreciate how much the odds are stacked against them."
Hahahahahaha, is that the understatement of the year!
I have been a reader of SFO for a few years now, I actually finally read last month over the weekend, I need all the mental help I can get, besides, Dr. Brett had an article in it. Plus, I always "Ask Slim" what should I do, what should I do??
Go stuff.